LLY: It died [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LLY: It died

TerrificPacific
11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
So...going down the road in town ...stopped at a couple of lights, stop signs and noticed a little 'lag' starting out..just as I was beginning to pay attention to it, she dies.
No run. No start. No codes.
Filter is primed. Starts and runs when I bought a can of ether ....just tried this once to see what would happen....
The no code thing bothers me, but I do not have enough experience with this engine, or diesel in particular.....
ANY thoughts, advice and help would be gratefully appreciated!
By the way NOOB from Newport, Oregon!:baby:

gmduramax
11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Don't ever use ether.

JoshH
11-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Don't ever use ether.
:rolleyes:

8100 Power
11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
$8000 later and my buddy bought a new(used) Cummins in his truck because of ether.. ran away with him. Broke two pistons, trashed the block.

JoshH
11-15-2011, 10:46 PM
$8000 later and my buddy bought a new(used) Cummins in his truck because of ether.. ran away with him. Broke two pistons, trashed the block.There's no accounting for stupidity. I've used ether on newer diesels (Dodge, Ford, and GM) literally dozens of times with not one single problem. It isn't bad if you aren't stupid with it.

8100 Power
11-15-2011, 10:51 PM
There's no accounting for stupidity. I've used ether on newer diesels (Dodge, Ford, and GM) literally dozens of times with not one single problem. It isn't bad if you aren't stupid with it.

I agree... I don't know how much he used but...

paint94979
11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
i've used brake on my truck before LOL

gmduramax
11-15-2011, 11:16 PM
:rolleyes:

I wasn't implying there is something wrong with using ether. Just saying someone with no experience with a diesel shouldn't use it.

TerrificPacific
11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Don't ever use ether.

:happy2: DUDE...I so know this...but I am kind of a basic mechanic guy, and I could not get any codes (Readout: No codes stored on computer(?))So my curiosity got the best of me; "would it run at all?" So I ran and got a can for two reasons....maybe both of them bad.....will it run/is it a 'fuel'prob? - will this make a code come up on my machine?...answer YES and NO respectfully.
I appreciate your advice and please keep it coming....but give me more!!! Thanks for reading my question!

TerrificPacific
11-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Please guys...I don't want this thread to turn into a ETHER topic. I really could use some advice here.....I promise to be a good boy and not use Ether anymore:D LOL

Iowa Farmboy
11-16-2011, 09:15 AM
First tell us what you have: year, mods, etc

If you have a tuner in there I would remove it and put back to stock. Expecally if its a Edge J/A.

TerrificPacific
11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Don't ever use ether.

First tell us what you have: year, mods, etc

If you have a tuner in there I would remove it and put back to stock. Expecally if its a Edge J/A.

DUH......
2004 1/2 6.6 LLY....no mods, just stock. The top end was rebuilt about 6 months ago due to a failed coolant level sensor that resulted in major overheat and warped heads. Rebuild was superior and all seemed good....EXCEPT for the fact that about 2-3 months ago my mileage began to sort of slowely worsen...went from 18ish to around 12ish and leveled off there.....my intent was to get that looked into after Dec. This is my Company truck and is used (was) daily and I really need it....but I don't have (don't want too) throw major $$$$...if I can troubleshoot and fix myself.

Iowa Farmboy
11-16-2011, 10:40 AM
You need to have a way to check rail pressure while cranking. As bad as it may be you might need to take it to a dealer to hook up Tech II to it to see what actual rail pressure is. I'm leaning towards a problem with your CP3.

Dirtymaxx03
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I vote that you are sucking a massive amount of air into the fuel system somewhere.

TerrificPacific
11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
OK...dealer wants $85 to hook it up......I am only about 10 blocks from one where I broke down so I can get a bud to tow me...then get the Tech II reading.......Pray.
Thank you for the advice.:thumb:

DougSmith
11-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Check bleeder screw on fuel filter, change fuel filter.
Dump some fuel additive in tank.

Prime fuel system using pump on fuel filter.

Some things that come to mind that takes 5 minutes to do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SmokeShow
11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
OP already stated that the system is primed...

It does still crank over, right? Or no?

Smoke when cranking? what color smoke, if so?

Any unusual noises when cranking?

Any unusual noises when its running on ether? I'm guessing the run time is small unless you continue to spray it with ether?

Maricopaagent
11-16-2011, 05:53 PM
You put in Diesel, not gas?

Ive seen people do it while pre-occupied..

TerrificPacific
11-16-2011, 11:23 PM
You put in Diesel, not gas?

Ive seen people do it while pre-occupied..

My crew fueled it last...but I did put 5 gals of fresh diesel in...was down to just over empty...so don't think this is an issue...this time.

TerrificPacific
11-16-2011, 11:30 PM
OP already stated that the system is primed...

It does still crank over, right? Or no?Yep she cranks strong

Smoke when cranking? what color smoke, if so?I will check tomorrow but I don't think so

Any unusual noises when cranking?Everything sounds right, but I will put more emphasis on listening closer in the morning.

Any unusual noises when its running on ether? I'm guessing the run time is small unless you continue to spray it with ether?I only kept it running for about 10 seconds, cuz I was hoping that might do something to get a code but no luck there....it seemed about as normal sounding as I would expect considering it was ether

rebel7777
11-20-2011, 12:53 PM
FPRV maybe stuck open, we need to check what the fuel pressure is when cranking with EFI or tech II.

Maricopaagent
11-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Get it running?