lbz mouth peice popping out [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : lbz mouth peice popping out

quadracer37
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
so how common of a problem is it for the LBZ mouth peices to pop out of the y bridge.. i just put a twin turbo kit on a buddies LBZ and cant seem to keep the mouth peice in the y bridge! as soon as it makes 35-40lbs the damn thing pops out. the original orings were torn, called GM dealer and they want 45$ each for the o rings! so i made my own, but still popped out! realy stupid design! i would just make a new mouthpeice and weld it on but i really dont want to go thru the hassle of taking the y bridge off and my buddy just wants to drive his truck! lol
ive heard of people making small brackets to keep them from popping out.. but it would still leak around the o rings wouldnt it? whats everyone doing...
thanks

TheBac
02-20-2011, 08:15 PM
I think there were some threads here about this. IIRC, the guys had to make some sort of brace to hold the m/p in.

SDP
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Here is the brace I've used on numerous kits/intercooler pipes without a single issue, it holds pretty damn strong being 1/4" thick and there is no way to even pry the horn out if you tried. It mounts to the thermostat housing where the long bolt for the resonator would thread in. Hope this helps.

x MadMAX DIESEL
02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I thought the mouth piece was what went to the charger, thats the horn your talking about.... anyways use 236 orings, they work fine... And yes its a dumb design. You need a brace on the front of the engine near the tensinor pulley area. That will help, I have a 3 inch exhaust flat band clamp around my egr delete tube and its got a bracket connecting to the factory intake manifold bracket.

Edit, what Scott said should work fine. I had something similar on my but it wasn't welded to it, I think that will be suficient

SDP
02-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I thought the mouth piece was what went to the charger, thats the horn your talking about.... anyways use 236 orings, they work fine... And yes its a dumb design. You need a brace on the front of the engine near the tensinor pulley area. That will help, I have a 3 inch exhaust flat band clamp around my egr delete tube and its got a bracket connecting to the factory intake manifold bracket.

Edit, what Scott said should work fine. I had something similar on my but it wasn't welded to it, I think that will be suficient

If you ever want that new bracket welded on let me know Ben! I don't want you to have to use the old design which wasn't bulletproof like this one.

hondarider552
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I have 3 braces on my EGR delete pipe. My bridge elbow ha smoved about 1/8" but not more than that. Noticed it while taking off my turbo tonight. Ive ran 50psi through it without issue, so far..

quadracer37
02-20-2011, 09:08 PM

my bad wrong name lol but yes the horn is what im talking about. ill order some 236's o rings. the intercooler pipe is braced off of the front accessory bracket.

hondarider552
02-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Since you have seen the bridge elbow all the way out, can you post a picture of it?

quadracer37
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
i would really hate to have to weld to the intercooler tube again cuz then i would have to get it re powdercoated, but ill try the new o rings and a brace of some sort and see what happens. least ill know for next time around to make some more braces on my intercooler pipe.

quadracer37
02-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Since you have seen the bridge elbow all the way out, can you post a picture of it?

ill try an remember to get a pic of it tomorrow and post it up! ill post a pic of the pipes too, we did a copper mettalic powdercoat and turned out really badass! definetly dont want to have to scrap it off to weld on them lol