Question: dome light ground location? [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question: dome light ground location?

Durascrap02
10-02-2010, 07:43 AM
does anyone have a wiring diagram or no where the ground is at for the dome light reg/cab 02. the light doesnt turn with doors open or with the dimmer swith. also the door lights on the bottom corners dont come on either, checked all fuses. i have power to both wires on the dome, when i ground 1 side of the bulb it turns on.

Durascrap02
10-02-2010, 01:44 PM
come on guys i no someone here is super smart with electrical:D thanks in advance

JoshH
10-02-2010, 10:25 PM
This is just a wild ass guess, but I would guess that they ground through the BCM (either door switch or the dimmer switch tells the BCM to ground the dome lights).

SgtKilroy
10-02-2010, 11:45 PM
They could also be grounded to the body through the mounting screws.

Durascrap02
10-03-2010, 07:42 AM
i will check that out i think it will be a trial and error deal thanks guys. also where is the switch/sensor that tells the truck that its open i cant see it like on the old school trucks. is it internal?

JoshH
10-03-2010, 10:49 AM
i will check that out i think it will be a trial and error deal thanks guys. also where is the switch/sensor that tells the truck that its open i cant see it like on the old school trucks. is it internal?
It is built into the door latch.

Durascrap02
10-03-2010, 11:20 AM
well its probably not that then cuz when i open the passenger door it doesnt come on either. but when i checked for juice at the light itself it had power with the dimmer switch on and with the door open, but it had power to BOTH prongs on the light so what does that mean? is that right or no
:confused:

JoshH
10-03-2010, 11:36 AM
It probably just means you still had some of the lights plugged in and all of the grounds are tied together. The voltage is going through the bulbs and showing positive voltage on the ground side. Either that, or there is a short to voltage on the ground side.

Does the light have power to it with the door closed and dimmer switch off?

Durascrap02
10-03-2010, 12:10 PM
i will check right now

Durascrap02
10-03-2010, 12:16 PM
yes it has power to both sides with the key off doors shut and switch off, so all the time it has power to both sides of the light

jlawles2
10-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Do any of the internal lights work??

Check out page B-15 in this document. http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2004_BB/2003_Beyond_LD_Electric_CK.pdf

JoshH
10-03-2010, 01:01 PM
yes it has power to both sides with the key off doors shut and switch off, so all the time it has power to both sides of the light
I was just checking to see if it is switched on the hot or ground side. Sounds like it is switched on the ground. I would look for a BCM wiring diagram and try to find a dome light ground.

Durascrap02
10-03-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks guys i will check it out, if you think of anything let me no please

Durascrap02
10-03-2010, 04:35 PM
if im reading it right the 3 lights that are not working dome, and both bottom door lights are all on different ground points:confused:

jlawles2
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
This may sound strange, but have you checked the headlight switch to see if the button that controls interior lighting is working? If you need, I have one in the house that I can pull apart to determine the pin out for interior light controls.

Have you looked at the wiring diagram on D-170? I see 3 references to ground point 10 three different times.

Thinking about it, check the connections on the BCM. Since the BCM controls all internal lighting, it could be one of the connections in the BCM.

Durascrap02
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
isnt there more than 1 bcm? i will check the switch, i never did look at d-170 i will look, btw thanks for the help.

Durascrap02
10-04-2010, 05:20 AM
k so i drove my truck this morning it was dark and i didnt see any light from the dimmer switch the headlights and dome overide are lit up but thats it, maybe its my switch?

Durascrap02
10-04-2010, 02:35 PM
pulled the switch apart kinda looked like the plate that the dimmer wheel spins on was discolored almost looked like it got hot is that a dead give away or am i just looking in the wrong place?

Chevy1925
10-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Your lights are ground triggered through the BCM but the headlight switch tells the BMC when to apply that ground (along with your door trigger switches in the door). when the head lgith switch goes out, some or all of your interior lights can go out.

sounds like the dimmer part of the switch went out cause if you turn the dimmer all the way up and then push it past the "click" you feel the dome light should come on. i would test the wires goin to the switch that feed it power to make sure its there and then ohm the switch its self to make sure you have a current path all the way through.

do the gauge lights and radio lights turn off if you turn the dimmer all the way up to that "click"

Durascrap02
10-04-2010, 05:44 PM
do the gauge lights and radio lights turn off if you turn the dimmer all the way up to that "click"

no they dont, but my map lights work when i turn them on through the little push button

JoshH
10-04-2010, 06:44 PM
no they dont, but my map lights work when i turn them on through the little push button
That's because the buttons apply a ground independent of the BCM. It sounds like either your BCM isn't grounding, or the wire has lost connection to the BCM.

Durascrap02
10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
better tell you guys this but the underside of my dash is all white like corroded u guys ever seen that? so where is the bcm is it the thing i was looking at when i had the switch out on the left side of colum kinda back in there a ways?

Chevy1925
10-05-2010, 10:54 AM
That's because the buttons apply a ground independent of the BCM. It sounds like either your BCM isn't grounding, or the wire has lost connection to the BCM.

:Ditto:

better tell you guys this but the underside of my dash is all white like corroded u guys ever seen that? so where is the bcm is it the thing i was looking at when i had the switch out on the left side of colum kinda back in there a ways?

never seen white stuff like your sayin. If you remove the kick panel below and look at the bottom of the silver metal plate thats bolted in you will see 3 plugs goin into the computer. make sure all the wires are all pushed firmly into place or give them a wiggle and see if you lights turn on. Id also check to make sure the ground the BCM uses is not loose and clean (no corrosion). If you decide to pull the BCM out, make sure you unplug the 4 connection behind BCM as well (can be hard to see and undo

Durascrap02
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
thanks guys i will check it out and let u no! ya all the steel under my dash is all corroded its really weird it looks like a battery that has corrosion all over the post i'll try to get some pictures

Durascrap02
10-06-2010, 07:44 PM
took the BCM out unplugged it cleaned it wiggled wires, didnt do anything and there was only plugs on the side that faces the driver seat(3). and it isnt grounded to the body because its plastic and the bracket is plastic to. not sure where it grounds to. anyways its probably the switch? i think?

Chevy1925
10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
took the BCM out unplugged it cleaned it wiggled wires, didnt do anything and there was only plugs on the side that faces the driver seat(3). and it isnt grounded to the body because its plastic and the bracket is plastic to. not sure where it grounds to. anyways its probably the switch? i think?

the BCM doesnt ground through its self. it uses separate ground wires going to the body to complete the circuit.

I cant say its the switch nor the BCM as i dont have enough info to say so.

JoshH
10-06-2010, 09:37 PM
the BCM doesnt ground through its self. it uses separate ground wires going to the body to complete the circuit.

I cant say its the switch nor the BCM as i dont have enough info to say so.
Do you have any wiring diagrams that show the interior lights that you could post?

Durascrap02
10-07-2010, 04:45 AM
is there a way to test the switch? i appreciate the help guys!!

jlawles2
10-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Which switch? Door or dash control?

Durascrap02
10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
dash control

jlawles2
10-07-2010, 08:07 PM
OK this is what I have so far
all is taken from back with 8 pins on top

T8-B6 control internal light

With inside light override out
All Positions
T5 - T7 Variable
T5 - T6 Variable opposite of T5- T7

Parking light position and Headlight on

B2 - B3

With inside light override in

Auto Position B1 -B3

I have an extra headlight switch that has a bad dimmer control in it. If you want to pay shipping, I will ship it to you. If you have a good dimmer portion, it is 5 solder connections to replace that portion of the controller.

Chevy1925
10-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Do you have any wiring diagrams that show the interior lights that you could post?

ill see if i can. im gettin them off Michell on demand and im not sure how get them to save so i can post them so you guys can see them well enough

Durascrap02
10-10-2010, 03:13 PM
well i checked the switch and its good so i dont no where to look for the ground for the bcm, or where to check next:confused:

Durascrap02
10-12-2010, 06:20 PM
k so i got ahold of some bcm and interior lighting diagrams, found the stupid relay checked it its good found that the ground is not working to the relay, so i traced the wire up 2 the bcm and now i just need to find out exactly whats wrong. if the bcm ground wasnt working then wouldnt everything that the bcm controls not work? or is the connection where the relay ground wire goes into the bcm?:confused:

Durascrap02
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
i grounded the relay to see if the lights come on they did they all work, but they dont shut off cuz like you guys said their switched to ground so im thinking its the bcm itself maybe?:confused: anybody have any thoughts?

heymccall
10-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Why don't you just change the blown fuse???

TBC 2B (15 amp/ blue) in the interior fuse panel. BTW, I'll bet your reverse lamps are out, too.

If that one's good, check all the fuses that start with TBC.

Durascrap02
10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
reverse lights work and i have power to all the lights no ground.

Chevy1925
10-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Why don't you just change the blown fuse???

TBC 2B (15 amp/ blue) in the interior fuse panel. BTW, I'll bet your reverse lamps are out, too.

If that one's good, check all the fuses that start with TBC.

hes having a ground activation problem, not a power supply issue.

heymccall
10-15-2010, 09:13 PM
reverse lights work and i have power to all the lights no ground.

Nevermind....If you had an '03, that's what would be broken...:(

JoshH
10-15-2010, 10:50 PM
i grounded the relay to see if the lights come on they did they all work, but they dont shut off cuz like you guys said their switched to ground so im thinking its the bcm itself maybe?:confused: anybody have any thoughts?Have you checked to see if the ground is actually activating at the BCM pin for the interior lights? Did you do a continuity check on the wire from the BCM to the relay?

Durascrap02
10-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Have you checked to see if the ground is actually activating at the BCM pin for the interior lights? Did you do a continuity check on the wire from the BCM to the relay?

no i didnt but i will now that you say that. you'll have to forgive me im not the best electrician, thanks i will check that out! if i knew how to put pics on here i would show you guys all the corrosion under my dash

heymccall
10-18-2010, 08:57 AM
The white wire to the lamps becomes grounded when the BCM commands the CTSY LAMP relay to close.
The orange wire is the 12V supply from the INADV PWR relay. You know the INADV PWR relay is good and functional, as you have power to the lamps.

I'd swap out the CTSY Lamp relay with the EXT ILLUM relay as a test, but I suspect the CTSY lamp relay to be bad, meaning a swap will leave you with no ext illumination.

The panel (in the attached image) is located behind the Park Brake pedal.

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
The white wire to the lamps becomes grounded when the BCM commands the CTSY LAMP relay to close.
The orange wire is the 12V supply from the INADV PWR relay. You know the INADV PWR relay is good and functional, as you have power to the lamps.

I'd swap out the CTSY Lamp relay with the EXT ILLUM relay as a test, but I suspect the CTSY lamp relay to be bad, meaning a swap will leave you with no ext illumination.

The panel (in the attached image) is located behind the Park Brake pedal.

yup but swapping those two will do you no good if the ctsy relay is bad as it will no longer send power to the lights. granted you can test the lights to see if they have power once you do this but dont expect the lights to turn on.

If you do switch the two and the lights still have power at their sockets, then go back to the BCM and on the middle connector (C2 connector), find the gray/black stripe wire (A3 hole on that connector) and either back probe it with another wire or pull it from the connector and ground the wire. If your lights come on, you BCM is bad. if they dont, you have a broken wire somewhere and your gunna need a test light to start testing powered areas to narrow it down.

so heres the simple verson. switch relays and check for power at lights

if no power at light: repolace original ctsy relay and re-test (should be fixed)

if power at lights: ground out gray/black stripe on C2 connector on BCM

If lights come on: BCM is bad

If lights dont come on: broken wire some where, will need further testing (highly unlikely but can happen)

got the wiring schematic to save as well. hope this gets ya fixed up!!!

heymccall
10-18-2010, 10:27 AM
yup but swapping those two will do you no good if the ctsy relay is bad as it will no longer send power to the lights. granted you can test the lights to see if they have power once you do this but dont expect the lights to turn on.

If you do switch the two and the lights still have power at their sockets, then go back to the BCM and on the middle connector (C2 connector), find the gray/black stripe wire (A3 hole on that connector) and either back probe it with another wire or pull it from the connector and ground the wire. If your lights come on, you BCM is bad. if they dont, you have a broken wire somewhere and your gunna need a test light to start testing powered areas to narrow it down.

if no power at light: repolace original ctsy relay and re-test (should be fixed)

If lights dont come on: broken wire some where, will need further testing (highly unlikely but can happen)

He already verified power, so the CTSY Lamp relay is the ground control, so it needs checked or swapped.

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
thanks guys i will give her a whirl!!

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
He already verified power, so the CTSY Lamp relay is the ground control, so it needs checked or swapped.

right but if you swap the two relays you told him to do and the ctsy relay is indeed bad, he will no longer have power to the lights but the ground will work so it will seem it fixed nothing unless you check for power again at the lights. he gets power now at the lights, switch relays and if the ctsy is bad, no more power to lights

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 01:27 PM

well i did like you said and swapped the relays had power, so relay is good. pulled the c2 plug from BCM and grounded the wire gray/black wire and the lights turned on so theres my answer. bcm, so my question is how much does a BCM cost or is it not worth spending the money for a dome light?

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 03:14 PM
and opening either door does not make a difference right? try keeping that wire ground out and see if the lights turn off when you shut the door (may take a min or two for the delay to shut them off)

if that turns them off, leave the gray/black stripe wire unplugged and jsut splice it into the dark blue wire (spot A8) on the C1 connector (its one of the outer two but i dont remember which one that is but A8 will have a dark blue wire) using, what i prefer, a scotch lock. should work just like factory untill the BCM really goes under but those things aint cheap

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
what i did was pulled the plug and just touched a wire that i grounded to the dome/ground wire and they turned on my door was open when i did this. so i will try doing that same thing with the doors shut and dimmer switch off, and i will see what happens when i open the passenger door and shut it. i'll let u no, btw thanks for the help its always nice having somebody that knows whats going on!

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 05:39 PM
haha its no prob. i know these 01-02s pretty damn well cause im always trying new things and tryin to figure it out. thing that really interest me is alot of stuff is ground triggered. ive reallyonly worked with switched power so i find these trucks interesting to learn how they did what they did. granted i dont know everything about them, give me a schematic and some time and ill figure the issue out though.

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
no they dont shut off so splicing it to inadvertent A8 probably wont work huh?

heymccall
10-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Not to pic a nit, but I asked to have the EXT ILLUM relay (for the parking lamps) swapped with the CTSY Lamp relay.

The INADV Power relay feeds power to the courtesy lamps, and voltage was verified, so we don't touch that one as the OP verified power at the lamps.

So, we try a replacement CTSY Lamp relay to check the ground controlling circuit.

If the CTSY Lamp relay were bad, we'd now have courtesy lamps, but no exterior park.

That makes this statement false...
right but if you swap the two relays you told him to do and the ctsy relay is indeed bad, he will no longer have power to the lights but the ground will work so it will seem it fixed nothing unless you check for power again at the lights. he gets power now at the lights, switch relays and if the ctsy is bad, no more power to lights

The only way that statement would be true is if "INADV PWR" were swapped with "CTSY Lamp":rolleyes:

We merely wanted "EXT ILLUM" and "CTSY Lamp" swapped, which would only affect courtesy ground, and NOT courtesy hot.

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
i swapped the inadv pwr with the ctsy lamp because i didnt see a ext illum plugged in to that relay center, so am i missing a relay? wait no because on the cover with the diagram it doesnt show an EXT ILLUM relay.

heymccall
10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=2198

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=2198

i seen that earlier when u posted it im sayin that mine has 3 relays down there INADV, CTSY, and PRK LMP the only 2 that i could switch is CTSY with INADV, i did that and no change, because the PRK isnt the same relay. i pulled the whole thing out and there isnt even any wires going to those spots.

heymccall
10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
i seen that earlier when u posted it im sayin that mine has 3 relays down there INADV, CTSY, and PRK LMP the only 2 that i could switch is CTSY with INADV, i did that and no change, because the PRK isnt the same relay. i pulled the whole thing out and there isnt even any wires going to those spots.

Alright then, my suggestion didn't help there, BUT grounding the gray w/bk wire did turn on the lamps, so the relays are good.

The BCM is suspect, BUT the dome override can still be at fault.

Unplug the dimmer switch assembly. Do the courtesy lights work (they shouldn't)?
Now, with the switch unplugged, ground the Purple wire. Do the courtesy lamps now work (they should if the dimmer/ override switch is bad)?

BTW, another thing to remember/ think about, is that on one of my trucks here, the dome override button had no effect at all unless the key was on.

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Not to pic a nit, but I asked to have the EXT ILLUM relay (for the parking lamps) swapped with the CTSY Lamp relay.

The INADV Power relay feeds power to the courtesy lamps, and voltage was verified, so we don't touch that one as the OP verified power at the lamps.

So, we try a replacement CTSY Lamp relay to check the ground controlling circuit.

If the CTSY Lamp relay were bad, we'd now have courtesy lamps, but no exterior park.

That makes this statement false...

The only way that statement would be true is if "INADV PWR" were swapped with "CTSY Lamp":rolleyes:

We merely wanted "EXT ILLUM" and "CTSY Lamp" swapped, which would only affect courtesy ground, and NOT courtesy hot.

right, i kept thinkin you were talkin about the inadv pwr relay as the lower trims didnt have the ext illum features/relay. either way would work to check

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Alright then, my suggestion didn't help there, BUT grounding the gray w/bk wire did turn on the lamps, so the relays are good.

Unplug the dimmer switch assembly. Do the courtesy lights work (they shouldn't)?
Now, with the switch unplugged, ground the Purple wire. Do the courtesy lamps now work (they should if the dimmer/ override switch is bad)?

BTW, another thing to remember/ think about, is that on one of my trucks here, the dome override button had no effect at all unless the key was on.

purple wire is the dome light defeat, meaning it will keep the dome lights off. dark blue/white stripe wire is the one your lookin for. grounding that one should turn the dome light on.

durascrap, did you try opening and shuttin the door yet?

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 08:02 PM

tried it with key on and off nothin!:confused: so i guess that means the bcm is bad. when i pulled the bcm out last i did notice a good crack on the outside plastic case that holds the actual module, looks like somebody tried prying it open and cracked it dont no though. thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!!!:D

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
tried it with key on and off nothin!:confused: so i guess that means the bcm is bad. when i pulled the bcm out last i did notice a good crack on the outside plastic case that holds the actual module, looks like somebody tried prying it open and cracked it dont no though. thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!!!:D

which wire? be sure it was the dark blue/white stripe. the purple one is the wrong one.

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 08:06 PM
oh im gonna try it quik

heymccall
10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Obviously, I'm not helping much here, but, one more test.

With the truck in gear, does cycling the dome override button 4 pushes defeat the DRLs?

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 08:13 PM
which wire? be sure it was the dark blue/white stripe. the purple one is the wrong one.

nope same thing guess im SOL. i could either try to find 1 out of a wrecked truck or maybe rig up a switch to turn it on/off manually

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
nope same thing guess im SOL. i could either try to find 1 out of a wrecked truck or maybe rig up a switch to turn it on/off manually

yup, sounds like shes no go on that end. but if thats the only thing thats not workin right, do what i posted below. should make them work like and/or close to factory

leave the gray/black stripe wire unplugged and jsut splice it into the dark blue wire (spot A8) on the C1 connector (its one of the outer two but i dont remember which one that is but A8 will have a dark blue wire) using, what i prefer, a scotch lock. should work just like factory untill the BCM really goes under but those things aint cheap

it will use the inadv pwr relay ground wire that the BCM uses to switch ground. Since we know your inadv pwr relay works correctly from the BCM, this will activate your courtsy lamp relay as well as from what i can see, you have to have both to make the lamps work. It may defeat the override though. wont hurt anything to do it this way so it cant hurt to try

Durascrap02
10-18-2010, 08:33 PM
oh i didnt think it would work but i will try that tomorrow. i tried the overide deal and it works so i will give this a shot, if that dont work i guess i will just rig something up, i didnt have a problem riggin crap up on my beater trucks but this is by far the nicest truck i've had so thats why i tried to pinpoint the problem, know what i mean, anyways thanks again!

Chevy1925
10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
oh i didnt think it would work but i will try that tomorrow. i tried the overide deal and it works so i will give this a shot, if that dont work i guess i will just rig something up, i didnt have a problem riggin crap up on my beater trucks but this is by far the nicest truck i've had so thats why i tried to pinpoint the problem, know what i mean, anyways thanks again!

yup but it will get you by till you can get another. i hate when things screw up like that so if i can make it work till i can get another, i try that route.

Durascrap02
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
on mine there isnt a wire in the A8 spot on either of the outside ones but my diagram shows the 1 you are talking about, and i do have a dark blue wire but its in the A7 connector i will double check again to make sure im not halucinating!

Chevy1925
10-19-2010, 03:33 PM
hmm thats interesting. is your truck a base model or LS or LT?

Durascrap02
10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
hmm thats interesting. is your truck a base model or LS or LT?

sorry false alarm i found it. it was dark when i was looking for it, gonna go try the splice here pretty quik.

Chevy1925
10-19-2010, 06:14 PM
haha alright. just let me know how it does!

Durascrap02
10-20-2010, 06:55 PM
i tried it but it stays constant without switch on or doors open. plugged into A8 dark blue

JoshH
10-20-2010, 08:51 PM
After looking at that diagram, it looks to me like some creative wiring could get you set up and working around the BCM. See the attached wiring diagram I modified for you. All you need is one relay. This should have it working with the dome lamp override and everything.

Durascrap02
10-21-2010, 05:43 AM
i'll try to comprehend this and make it work thanks josh!

Chevy1925
10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
After looking at that diagram, it looks to me like some creative wiring could get you set up and working around the BCM. See the attached wiring diagram I modified for you. All you need is one relay. This should have it working with the dome lamp override and everything.

umm one little thing i see though josh. How is the ppl wire gunna supply ground if the dome override switch is not activated? or was your plan to have him turn the switch on for it to work and just use the switch in reverse? great idea though. i was hopin that INADV relay would turn off when the key went to run or when the doors were shut, apprently not lol

JoshH
10-21-2010, 11:14 AM
i'll try to comprehend this and make it work thanks josh!Basically, what you need to do is get a SPST relay. Tie all the triggers (both door switches and the dimmer switch) and run them to the ground side of the relay coil. Then tap into a power wire for one of your dome lights and run it to the power side of the coil. Next, tap into the dome lamp override and run it to the common side of the relay. Finally, take the CTSY LP RLY trigger wire and run it to the NO switched side of the relay.

umm one little thing i see though josh. How is the ppl wire gunna supply ground if the dome override switch is not activated? or was your plan to have him turn the switch on for it to work and just use the switch in reverse? great idea though. i was hopin that INADV relay would turn off when the key went to run or when the doors were shut, apprently not lol
Assuming the open position of the switch makes the dome lights work, yes, that is what would happen. The other option would be to swap the dome lamp defeat switch to the coil of the new relay and run the dimmer and door switches to the NC terminal of the relay.

Chevy1925
10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Assuming the open position of the switch makes the dome lights work, yes, that is what would happen. The other option would be to swap the dome lamp defeat switch to the coil of the new relay and run the dimmer and door switches to the NC terminal of the relay.

Well if im seein the schematic right, the switch will have to be in the "on"/closed position or like your activating the dome light override. the wire you have hooked to that will have no ground till you push it in. technically, all it will do is make the switch work in reverse. if you turn the dome override sitch off it will tune the dome light off and visa versa if you turn the switch on. atleast thats what im seein

JoshH
10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Well if im seein the schematic right, the switch will have to be in the "on"/closed position or like your activating the dome light override. the wire you have hooked to that will have no ground till you push it in. technically, all it will do is make the switch work in reverse. if you turn the dome override sitch off it will tune the dome light off and visa versa if you turn the switch on. atleast thats what im seeinThat's what I said :confused:

Like you, I'm assuming the BCM needs to see a ground no that wire to deactivate the dome lights. So yes, if wired up like I drew it, the switch would work in reverse unless you wired it like I explained in the second post. Either way, I don't think it would make much difference.

If you don't care about the dome lamp override, you could just tie all the dome light switches directly to the ground for the dome light relay.

Chevy1925
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
That's what I said :confused:

Like you, I'm assuming the BCM needs to see a ground no that wire to deactivate the dome lights. So yes, if wired up like I drew it, the switch would work in reverse unless you wired it like I explained in the second post. Either way, I don't think it would make much difference.

If you don't care about the dome lamp override, you could just tie all the dome light switches directly to the ground for the dome light relay.

my bad, i was takin "open position of the switch" as in the dome override switch was not activated. :hug:

JoshH
10-21-2010, 01:24 PM
my bad, i was takin "open position of the switch" as in the dome override switch was not activated. :hug:
I did mean not activated, but I was talking about in the stock system. As in the switch has to be open for the dome lights to work when they are controlled through the BCM.

Chevy1925
10-21-2010, 01:31 PM
I did mean not activated, but I was talking about in the stock system. As in the switch has to be open for the dome lights to work when they are controlled through the BCM.

aaahhhh that makes more sense now.

Durascrap02
10-21-2010, 01:41 PM

so am i splicing into these wires or what? i will have a better understanding when i print this out so i will try to figure it out and probably ask you 300 more questions, im glad theres some smart guys on here, i've learned a lot in 2 months from this forum.

Chevy1925
10-21-2010, 02:40 PM
so am i splicing into these wires or what? i will have a better understanding when i print this out so i will try to figure it out and probably ask you 300 more questions, im glad theres some smart guys on here, i've learned a lot in 2 months from this forum.

splicing in should work. Your only tapping into grounds on the door jam switches and the grey/black stripe wire i had you remove before and runnin 1 power wire from 86 to a + powered dome light/courtsy light.

in other words.

86 to + powered dome light/courtsy light
85 to dark blue/white stripe, orange, and tan wires on the C3 connector
30 to grey/black stripe wire i had you pull on the C1
87 to purple wire on the C3
87A put no wires on it

make sure to push the dome override button on (so it stays in) and all should work correctly, turing the dome override button off (button stays out) will make the dome lights turn off.

the diag shows the number the wire is in in each connector ie A8, B6, so on.

Durascrap02
10-21-2010, 08:09 PM
splicing in should work. Your only tapping into grounds on the door jam switches and the grey/black stripe wire i had you remove before and runnin 1 power wire from 86 to a + powered dome light/courtsy light.

in other words.

86 to + powered dome light/courtsy light
85 to dark blue/white stripe, orange, and tan wires on the C3 connector
30 to grey/black stripe wire i had you pull on the C1
87 to purple wire on the C3
87A put no wires on it

make sure to push the dome override button on (so it stays in) and all should work correctly, turing the dome override button off (button stays out) will make the dome lights turn off.

the diag shows the number the wire is in in each connector ie A8, B6, so on.

so could i just get the power from the little courtesy lamp thats right there under kick panel close to the E-brake? if thats the case thats not to bad.

Chevy1925
10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
so could i just get the power from the little courtesy lamp thats right there under kick panel close to the E-brake? if thats the case thats not to bad.

you should be able too

Durascrap02
10-22-2010, 11:30 AM

on the wires that need to come from the bcm would you splice them or pull them out of the bcm and do it that way, not sure what way i should do it?

JoshH
10-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I would probably pull all the wires loose from the BCM harness, except the dome override (since it also kills the auto headlamps). I wouldn't want any weird BCM problems to cause problems with the relay used to work around it.

Durascrap02
10-23-2010, 07:08 AM
ok i will try today and let you guys no how it goes thanks again guys!:thumb:

Durascrap02
10-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I would probably pull all the wires loose from the BCM harness, except the dome override (since it also kills the auto headlamps). I wouldn't want any weird BCM problems to cause problems with the relay used to work around it.

the only wire i cant seem to find is the orange one B2

Durascrap02
10-23-2010, 11:50 AM
i see orange wires but i dont see any in a b2 spot i will keep looking

Durascrap02
10-23-2010, 02:19 PM
well i wired her up and it seems to be working fine the only thing i didnt find was that orange one b2 i seen an orange wire on the the far right connector its in b5 though so i dont know but other than that it works so im not gonna complain! thanks a lot guys couldn't have done it without ya!!:hug:

JoshH
10-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Glad it's working. Does it work when you open both doors? The orange wire is supposed to be for the right door, but if it works without it, it must be wired a little different than that diagram shows.

Durascrap02
10-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Glad it's working. Does it work when you open both doors? The orange wire is supposed to be for the right door, but if it works without it, it must be wired a little different than that diagram shows.

it doesnt work for the passenger side cuz i couldnt find that orange wire, i can always connect that wire later if i ever find it though. other than that it works just like you said in reverse with the dome override in. shear genious!!!!:thumb:

JoshH
10-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm glad I could help. I couldn't have done it without that wiring diagram James posted. It was a group effort :thumb:

Durascrap02
10-25-2010, 05:10 AM
the only glitch is that the 20 minute accessory doesnt shut off when i open the drivers door when i i open the pass side it does i think because i didnt hook that one up

JoshH
10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
the only glitch is that the 20 minute accessory doesnt shut off when i open the drivers door when i i open the pass side it does i think because i didnt hook that one up
Oh yeah, I guess you should have just tapped into the door wire instead of cut it. That hadn't even crossed my mind.

Chevy1925
10-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah, I guess you should have just tapped into the door wire instead of cut it. That hadn't even crossed my mind.

yeah, come on now josh! even i knew that...........

lol :D :hug: i didnt think of that either

Durascrap02
10-25-2010, 04:21 PM

i didnt cut it i just unplugged it so i can plug it back in and tap into? this could be good if thats the case!

JoshH
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
i didnt cut it i just unplugged it so i can plug it back in and tap into? this could be good if thats the case!
Yes

Chevy1925
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Yes

x2

Durascrap02
10-25-2010, 06:27 PM
awsome thanks guys i owe you guys a round!