LBZ: stock injectors [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LBZ: stock injectors

jmoore
05-29-2009, 07:37 PM
looking for a company to hones stock injectors. Is this cheaper than just buying some?

JOHNBOY
05-29-2009, 09:32 PM
looking for a company to hones stock injectors. Is this cheaper than just buying some?

Welcome!

Let me just make sure I understand your question. Your injectors are fine your just wanting bigger versions? If so. Many places can sell you tips but few actually do the honing. Extrudehone and Dynomite Diesel Performance are two that actually do the honing for most. I have used both and am very pleased with both. ExtrudeHone has prices listed here http://www.gethoned.com/parts.php?get_price=yourparts&show=diesel I suggest you call and talk with Jim at Extrudehone about your needs. The nice thing about Extrudehone is the turn around. You can take out your injectors, remove your tips and send them to Extrudehone. Jim can hone them and send them back out the same day if needed.

Now all that said bigger injectors are not really needed until you have changed turbos and are pushing past the 600rwhp. Then bigger tips can be very helpful.

Trippin
05-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Agreed, there is so much more that needs/can be done before bigger injectors.

Buying a diesel and adding injectors is the old school way of increasing HP. Your stock Duramax will respond much better to tuning than it will to just adding bigger injectors.

If you do get to a point that you want o go with bigger injectors,
I would look for a company that can test your entire injector at actual running pressures (26,000 psi) and pulse widths. Extrude hone does not do this.

This type of modification/testing costs more than just enlarging the tips, but having a balanced set of injectors can save you from burning pistons or breaking cranks.

Sometimes saving a few $$$ now can cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ later.

jmoore
05-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Ok the truck is a 2006 lbz with the banks big hoss kit and pda i want to get more horses and i was looking at a water meth kit or bigger injectors what do yall think?

Kat
05-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Ok the truck is a 2006 lbz with the banks big hoss kit and pda i want to get more horses and i was looking at a water meth kit or bigger injectors what do yall think?

Another thing to think about is your going to have a hard time tuning for bigger injectors with the Banks system.

jmoore
05-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the awesome site and info.

jmoore
05-31-2009, 12:05 PM
what is the best tuner?

Kat
05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
what is the best tuner?

Most guys here use EFILive which requires a laptop. It is a tuning tool and scanning tool. Let's you write your own tunes. Most vendors here include a tune with the purchase of it including us.

jmoore
05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
How can i get some info on that program/tuner?

Kat
05-31-2009, 03:50 PM
How can i get some info on that program/tuner?

You can actually download the software and look at it at http://www.efilive.com/

SIKDMAX
05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Agree with Guy and Kat.

Purchase EFI Live from either of them. If you are interested in doing Injectors, talk to Guy (Trippin) about it.

He did mine and while its more $ Im glad they will be perfectly balanced in my $$$$$$$$ motor :D

Big Block 88
05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks like Guy and Kat got you steered in the right direction

jmoore
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
hey, kat thanks for info and web sit to efilive. I have another question what should i do first should i leave the banks kit and just add a meth/water kit for more horses or remove banks kit and just start all over if thats the case what is step one?

juddski88
06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
IMHO i would start over...buy EFI LIVE and get some tunes from some tuners here..do some more research here to find out what you need to do to get your dmax up to 500hp or whatever your goal is, the safest, cheapest, and most efficient way possible some people who have helped me a lot with info are ...well......everyone here....that's why we are here:hug::D

Huntinducks82
06-01-2009, 07:28 PM
IMHO i would start over...buy EFI LIVE and get some tunes from some tuners here..do some more research here to find out what you need to do to get your dmax up to 500hp or whatever your goal is, the safest, cheapest, and most efficient way possible some people who have helped me a lot with info are ...well......everyone here....that's why we are here:hug::D

X2 i take it you do not have a lift pump or shimmed your fprv, things you need before you go doing injectors. Sell the banks and get EFI Live you will be surprised how much you can get out of them stock injectors.

Big Block 88
06-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Money will be way better spent else where in the motor then inhjectors, EFI can get yuo well over 500 on stock injectors.

jmoore
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
ok, but what do i do with the exhaust probe on the banks kit the pda is the gauge for the exhaust temp and boost as well as trans temp with the efilive would i have to get a gauge pod? If thats the case how do u recommend? THANKS THIS IS MY FIRST DIESEL...:coolspot:

custom8726
06-04-2009, 06:17 PM
ok, but what do i do with the exhaust probe on the banks kit the pda is the gauge for the exhaust temp and boost as well as trans temp with the efilive would i have to get a gauge pod? If thats the case how do u recommend? THANKS THIS IS MY FIRST DIESEL...:coolspot:

You will have to get a gauge pod, I believe the BANKS probe is universal so you should be able to re-use it with aftermarket EGT gauges. On second thought you might be able to use the Banks PDA to monitor paramiters while running other programing?????

Whitetail Addict
06-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Personally, I would sell the Banks kit w/pda as a set including the pyro probe...I think it would be easier to sell as a kit.

Get a pillar mount or trippin mount (overhead console) and Autometer pyro and boost gauges...the factory trans temp gauge will suffice.

Then order EFI from either McRat or SoCal and hammer down...until its transmission time :D

Darius6t9
06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I was told that the only gauge that will work with Banks Pyro is one from Banks. This came from banks themselves. I called and asked if I could use an Autometer gauge with it and they said no. Only theirs will work with it.