LBZ Engine Build [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LBZ Engine Build

tylerrustLB7
05-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Ok,
I am helping out a local puller.The engine has 110k HARD miles on it from street to drag to sled pulling.After this last pull he went to he decided to pull it and build it befor it decided to take it's self out.He has logged run's befor with 2000+egt's:eek:.Befor he pulled it his setup was:EFI,race valve,shimmed,ats tran's and conv,ats waterboy w/m,propane:eek:,twin cp3's,stock turbo.Idk who tuned it but with that setup the best it ever put down was 499hp/990ft.

He want's to reach the 700+hp mark, he dosnt have alot of money to blow so it will be a budget build.He's want's to do this on his stock pistons?I cleaned them up really good and dont see anything visualy wrong with them(havent seen the block yet to see what kind of shape it is in) beleve it or not.Do yall think with this build if they were deliped and coated they would be fine???

Part's he is going back with are:A5k,crower rods,Socal cam,keyed crank,ATI damper,over injectors(dont know what%) our shop is going to do the valve & port job.

Just seeing what yall would do "piston" wise on this build and anything else you would do? Thanks

bullfrogjohnson
05-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I would delip and coat the pistons to around 16.5;16:1. This seems tobe the best setup on race motors at this point.

Edit....I would be very scared to use LBZ pistons in any build. I should have read the title better...sorry

maxaholic
05-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Is it Prestons. I don't know him personally but that is a wicked truck.

And btw I think me and him both were slipping on the dyno at Alvarado.

On edit: let me get your number. I would like to swing over sometime and help/or watch. If it is Preston tell him I am a good friends of Jake Statons.

ripmf666
05-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I would get set of pistons from Socal, I would not put the LBZ pistons back in.

JoshH
05-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I ran a set of cut/coated LBZ pistons (they actually have .040 shaved off the top, the bowl is radiused to make up for the top being cut, and bowl coated) for a while on my first build (about 4500 miles). I put down right at 700 hp at the dyno. I still have the pistons and would sell them for cheap if the guy is interested. They are already balanced and ready to go. I went with some .020 over LB7 pistons from Guy for this time around just because I was afraid the LBZ pistons would break.

tylerrustLB7
05-21-2009, 09:20 PM
What's the diffrence in LBZ vs LB7 piston's beside's comp/ratio?
Arnt alot of guy's building with deliped and coated LB7 pistons?

TrentNell
05-21-2009, 09:21 PM
i would not even think about using those LBZ pistons . but for me personaly if i had to buy new pistons i would go with the mahles , or forged . but if my pistons are still good they will get cut .

tylerrustLB7
05-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Is it Prestons. I don't know him personally but that is a wicked truck.

And btw I think me and him both were slipping on the dyno at Alvarado.

Ya it's him Shane,just helping him out.Good Guy

JoshH
05-21-2009, 09:24 PM
i would not even think about using those LBZ pistons . but for me personaly if i had to buy new pistons i would go with the mahles , or forged . but if my pistons are still good they will get cut .
Your stock pistons are Mahles.

motohed
05-21-2009, 09:24 PM
I would get set of pistons from Socal, I would not put the LBZ pistons back in.

x2 i wouldn't trust the casting on the lbz/lmm pistons. my av tells the story:(

tylerrustLB7
05-21-2009, 09:37 PM
So depending on the shape of the block a deliped and coated LB7 piston would be good?And asfar as valvetrain,anything need to be aftermarket or replaced with this build? The valve guides were beat up alittle,probably cause of the propane.They are getting replaced.

Turbo Buick 6
05-21-2009, 09:55 PM
So depending on the shape of the block a deliped and coated LB7 piston would be good?And asfar as valvetrain,anything need to be aftermarket or replaced with this build? The valve guides were beat up alittle,probably cause of the propane.They are getting replaced.
just FYI lb7 and lly pistons are the same.

anyone want to send me a chunk of a lbz/lmm and lb7/lly piston for me to send out for a test, I really want to know why they are cracking
Posted via Mobile Device

JoshH
05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a couple of LBZ piston I can send you (one with hole and one without). Maybe someone who cracked an LB7 or LLY piston has one sitting around they can send you.

slowlmm
05-21-2009, 10:04 PM

anyone want to send me a chunk of a lbz/lmm and lb7/lly piston for me to send out for a test, I really want to know why they are cracking
Posted via Mobile Device

easy lbz-lmm dimsum yung piston company they make daewoo pistons as well

lb7-lly mahle nuff said

I bet its a combination of quailty controll and material

tylerrustLB7
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

K thanks, that would be nice to see why they are cracking.

ripmf666
05-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I think I have a LB7 I know I have ones from a LBZ lol

JoshH
05-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I did some looking into having my pistons checked a few weeks back and found a place I was going to contact: http://www.intertek-cb.com/ARL/index.shtml

TrentNell
05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Your stock pistons are Mahles.

I know i was talking about the new ones that Guy has been talking ablout ? dont know much about them other than he said they are suposed to be a good option for the D/D guys ?

FMOS
05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
If I had samples of both I could easily do some metallography on them to find out the differences.

Other tests might get a bit tough because were dealing with such an irregular shaped piece of material. Might be possible to do impact testing or tensiles, but without a significant number of pistons to test on the results would be useless.

JoshH
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I know i was talking about the new ones that Guy has been talking ablout ? dont know much about them other than he said they are suposed to be a good option for the D/D guys ?When I talked to him, he recommended the LB7 pistons.

motohed
05-21-2009, 11:11 PM
i have all eight of my stock pistons. im keeping the one with the hole for "sentimental' reasons. the other seven are ready to be sacrificed:D. lemme know!

Bako_Dmax
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I would think if those pistons were gonna go they would have already. I think he got a "good" set of LBZ pistons, but I would still put some lly/lb7 pistons in there.

8100 Power
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Is there really a good set of LBZ pistons???

I sure hope I'm one of them. :D

durallymax
05-22-2009, 01:01 AM
I know i was talking about the new ones that Guy has been talking ablout ? dont know much about them other than he said they are suposed to be a good option for the D/D guys ?

curtis mentioned these to me too, might be worth trying since my build is getting put off.

durallymax
05-22-2009, 01:03 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

If you need some LB7 pistons i have the ones out of my other motor that are of no use to me. They have a different bowl design as it was a pre-production motor with a different injector design that was scrapped.

Let me know if you want one, i think they are similar in metallurgy and such as production LB7 pistons but Im not sure, I know one does have a crack in the skirt.

tylerrustLB7
05-22-2009, 05:50 AM
I would think if those pistons were gonna go they would have already. I think he got a "good" set of LBZ pistons, but I would still put some lly/lb7 pistons in there.

I told him he has a motor touched by god.

duratothemax
05-22-2009, 07:02 AM
If you need some LB7 pistons i have the ones out of my other motor that are of no use to me. They have a different bowl design as it was a pre-production motor with a different injector design that was scrapped.

Let me know if you want one, i think they are similar in metallurgy and such as production LB7 pistons but Im not sure, I know one does have a crack in the skirt.

do you have any pics of them???? I would keep them because they are one of a kind!!!!

durallymax
05-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Well maybe ill go snap one for ya quick ben. Im just sitting here biting my nails waiting for UPS to show up with my piston oil ring and headgaskets, im supposed to pull tomorrow night so im short on time.

Its basically a cone with a flat tip vs. the dome in the production LB7s. It also looks to have less of a lip. Otherwise they look the same.

duratothemax
05-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Its basically a cone with a flat tip vs. the dome in the production LB7s. It also looks to have less of a lip. Otherwise they look the same.

so more like a cummins piston....hmmmm....interesting.

definetly dont get rid of them!!!!

durallymax
05-22-2009, 10:00 PM
i wont be any time soon.

I know curtis has a couple sets of them too and guy said hes seen them.

Its a good thing i took a second look and called curtis. I can imagine they wouldnt do so well in a production motor and would fail very quickly.

tylerrustLB7
05-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Talked to him today and told him to do piston's(he didnt want to hear that) but I told him do you want to build it agin.He is going to call Guy tomm and check.If yall know where any delipped & coated .20 over LB7 pistons let me know cause he is on a budget.

Another ? good power can still be made with the stock cam? Since he has to do pistons he prob wont be doing the cam.Do any of yall have any pic's of a key'ed cam and crank?Just wondering what style of key's are being used.

othrgrl
05-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Ok,
I am helping out a local puller.The engine has 110k HARD miles on it from street to drag to sled pulling.After this last pull he went to he decided to pull it and build it befor it decided to take it's self out.He has logged run's befor with 2000+egt's:eek:.Befor he pulled it his setup was:EFI,race valve,shimmed,ats tran's and conv,ats waterboy w/m,propane:eek:,twin cp3's,stock turbo.Idk who tuned it but with that setup the best it ever put down was 499hp/990ft.

He want's to reach the 700+hp mark, he dosnt have alot of money to blow so it will be a budget build.He's want's to do this on his stock pistons?I cleaned them up really good and dont see anything visualy wrong with them(havent seen the block yet to see what kind of shape it is in) beleve it or not.Do yall think with this build if they were deliped and coated they would be fine???

Part's he is going back with are:A5k,crower rods,Socal cam,keyed crank,ATI damper,over injectors(dont know what%) our shop is going to do the valve & port job.

Just seeing what yall would do "piston" wise on this build and anything else you would do? Thanks

On just the mods I put in blue LBZs have gone over 530 rwhp so for him to only get 499 with everything else seems off. Why did he do every fuel mod (2xCP3, meth, propane) without doing anything for air?

I wouldn't run LBZ pistons in anything I tore into. Talk to Guy about cut and coated LB7/LLY's, or look into Arias.

Another ? good power can still be made with the stock cam? Since he has to do pistons he prob wont be doing the cam.Do any of yall have any pic's of a key'ed cam and crank?Just wondering what style of key's are being used.

Good power can definately be made on a stock cam. Winston's build is similar to what you are talking about:

Cut and Coated LB7s
SoCal Stage 2 heads
head studs
Crowers
stock keyed cam and crank
40% injectors
dual CP3s
T3 A5K

He has put down over 700hp and gone 11.41 in a CCSB on ATs only removing the tail gate and spare. Question is how much more power would he have if he did have a bigger cam? And would you rather spend the money now or be asking yourself that later when you barely lose a pull or race?

tylerrustLB7
05-26-2009, 09:24 PM
On just the mods I put in blue LBZs have gone over 530 rwhp so for him to only get 499 with everything else seems off. Why did he do every fuel mod (2xCP3, meth, propane) without doing anything for air?

I wouldn't run LBZ pistons in anything I tore into. Talk to Guy about cut and coated LB7/LLY's, or look into Arias.

Good power can definately be made on a stock cam. Winston's build is similar to what you are talking about:

Cut and Coated LB7s
SoCal Stage 2 heads
head studs
Crowers
stock keyed cam and crank
40% injectors
dual CP3s
T3 A5K

He has put down over 700hp and gone 11.41 in a CCSB on ATs only removing the tail gate and spare. Question is how much more power would he have if he did have a bigger cam? And would you rather spend the money now or be asking yourself that later when you barely lose a pull or race?

Idk he went about purchasing is mod's in the wrong way. Alot of fuel and no air but really it makes me wonder if he had alot of fuel cause he was running a PPE/EFI combo.He never had anyone build him a real tune for what he had.

He will be doing basicly what Winston did. He will be doing a T3 A5K also. He didnt know there was any problems with the LBZ pistons.I looked at his and there was nothing visably wrong with them but I told him NO. Just trying to lead him down the right path and give some of these Dodges around here a woopin at the track.

paint94979
05-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Idk he went about purchasing is mod's in the wrong way. Alot of fuel and no air but really it makes me wonder if he had alot of fuel cause he was running a PPE/EFI combo.He never had anyone build him a real tune for what he had.

He will be doing basicly what Winston did. He will be doing a T3 A5K also. He didnt know there was any problems with the LBZ pistons.I looked at his and there was nothing visably wrong with them but I told him NO. Just trying to lead him down the right path and give some of these Dodges around here a woopin at the track.

He should not get the A5K... i'd def. get a T4 charger.... an HTT 66mm charger with dual CP3's will put him in the 11.40's-11.50's given the right truck setup. Then he can always go bigger a T3 pedestal learns no room for growth.

ripmf666
05-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Find my thread of when I blow mine up and show him my LBZ pistons lol.

JoshH
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Or my LBZ piston...

othrgrl
05-27-2009, 06:01 AM
He should not get the A5K... i'd def. get a T4 charger.... an HTT 66mm charger with dual CP3's will put him in the 11.40's-11.50's given the right truck setup. Then he can always go bigger a T3 pedestal learns no room for growth.

They have T4 A5K's as well.

I would (and am) going with a BW S400 because of the price and interchange ability. Winston only has an A5K because it's what came with the blown built motor he bought.

SmokeShow
05-27-2009, 09:50 AM
They have T4 A5K's as well.

I would (and am) going with a BW S400 because of the price and interchange ability. Winston only has an A5K because it's what came with the blown built motor he bought.

thought you were gonna run a 3.0" In-3.0" Out VVT from Brayden???

LBZ
05-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Is there really a good set of LBZ pistons???

I sure hope I'm one of them. :D

X2:rolleyes:

othrgrl
05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
thought you were gonna run a 3.0" In-3.0" Out VVT from Brayden???

So did I......

It was supposedly going to be done in time for TS then the week after I was told 3-4 more weeks at a minimum. I decided to ditch being a beta tester for that and go straight to a normal 3" charger so a Bullseye S475 is on it's way from Fleece.

tylerrustLB7
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Got a couple more questions,bronze valve guides who makes them for d-max heads? I checked with K-Line a place we get our race guides from but they do not have them for the duramax.Does anyone have a part # for a stock LB7 malie .020 piston? Thanks

racinmike77
06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.socaldiesel.com/CylinderHeadParts.htm

tylerrustLB7
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
http://www.socaldiesel.com/CylinderHeadParts.htm

Thanks!

FMOS
06-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I believe that the HTT 66mm uses a T3 pedestal... It uses whatever comes with the BD install kit.

Jake Staton
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
this is gonna be one sick truck when its all said and done...

tylerrustLB7
06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
this is gonna be one sick truck when its all said and done...

What we are shooting for. Just trying to give some local cummins guy's some comp.

JoshH
06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I posted in your other thread asking about piston part numbers. Are you looking for GM or Mahle part numbers?

2500HeavyDuty
06-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Ya it's him Shane,just helping him out.Good Guy

heeeeey, i know Preston. met him in Alvarado and out pulled him in nats with bad injectors:coolspot:

damn i would help him out too if i was closer, hes a cool guy. his truck was a strong puller to when i seen it in Alvarado

Jake Staton
06-03-2009, 09:35 PM
What we are shooting for. Just trying to give some local cummins guy's some comp.

He's already given Chupp a run for his money more than once!!! But I cant wait to see a bad a$$ d-max sled puller come from cen-tex!

tylerrustLB7
06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
He's already given Chupp a run for his money more than once!!! But I cant wait to see a bad a$$ d-max sled puller come from cen-tex!

It's coming:D