Waste Gate Problem?? [Archive] - Duramax Diesels Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Waste Gate Problem??

03 D-max
03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Well I was driving my truck the other day and i went to pass a car at about 50 and i slowly started to push the pedal and it wasnt getting any faster, i looked in the mirror to see two streams of black smoke, so i quick look at my boost gauge and it is only a 3, so i let off and give it throttle again and it works fine. Then a day later i had stopped at the bottom of a hill and when i got to the top of it i started to get on the truck to pick up speed and the same thing happened this time other than i had it to the floor before i noticed and then all of a sudden boost came back and my tranny limped :rolleyes:.

I am thinking it must be the waste gate?? but im not for sure... What do you guys think?

dmaxvaz
03-31-2009, 06:38 PM
clean up your maf sensor, and check for intercooler boot leaks

02freighttrain
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
probably not the gate. It stay's closed until boost builds on the 7's. Might stick open though? , but unlikely.

Whitetail Addict
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Did you check the intercooler pipe above the steering box?

The line may have rubbed through.

03 D-max
03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Did you check the intercooler pipe above the steering box?

The line may have rubbed through.

no i havent really checked any thing yet. i found it weird because it did it a couple times and thats it, it hasnt done it since. i figured if it was a leak it would be steady:dontknow:
i will defiantly check everything boost oriented sometime soon

Whitetail Addict
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
no i havent really checked any thing yet. i found it weird because it did it a couple times and thats it, it hasnt done it since. i figured if it was a leak it would be steady:dontknow:
i will defiantly check everything boost oriented sometime soon

10-4...when I checked mine it seems as though the steering line could seal the rub-through hole under most situations (until it gets too bad of course)...once the engine torques then the leak/hole could show up.....just a theory though.

03 D-max
03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
10-4...when I checked mine it seems as though the steering line could seal the rub-through hole under most situations (until it gets too bad of course)...once the engine torques then the leak/hole could show up.....just a theory though.
it could very well be. i dont get on the truck very much with the trans being the way it is :(

EDIT- and now that i think of it i was just rolling in to the throttle in 5th gear so the motor would be at full torque... i guess i will find out in the next couple days

Whitetail Addict
03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
it could very well be. i dont get on the truck very much with the trans being the way it is :(

I know that feeling, my Alli forces me to keep my right foot in check :(

02freighttrain
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
If you have a boost guage and suspect a boot leak. Cover your exhaust pipe with duct tape and remove the port fitting for your boost guage. Apply air pressure from a compressed air source to the fitting and listen for leaks.Also watch the boots to see if they swell, You will need to build some pressure in the system and a lot may pass out the exhaust past the tape and any exhaust leaks you have.
If you have a tight system, be careful not to induce too much air, although the tape will probably let go before you spit a boot. Sounds crazy, but it works...........a good way to check for compressed side leaks. However this will not eliminate a waste gate issue, as this methodology will still show no leaks.This will act a pressure test for the intake componets. Did I miss something?:confused:

03 D-max
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
If you have a boost guage and suspect a boot leak. Cover your exhaust pipe with duct tape and remove the port fitting for your boost guage. Apply air pressure from a compressed air source to the fitting and listen for leaks.Also watch the boots to see if they swell, You will need to build some pressure in the system and a lot may pass out the exhaust past the tape and any exhaust leaks you have.
If you have a tight system, be careful not to induce too much air, although the tape will probably let go before you spit a boot. Sounds crazy, but it works...........a good way to check for compressed side leaks. However this will not eliminate a waste gate issue, as this methodology will still show no leaks.This will act a pressure test for the intake componets. Did I miss something?:confused:

how much psi should i apply? i can adjust my air compressor down to like 50psi or something so i dont blow anything

02freighttrain
03-31-2009, 09:41 PM
how much psi should i apply? i can adjust my air compressor down to like 50psi or something so i dont blow anything
There will be a lot of leaking going on. You will need to pay attention. Remove the air source if you suppect you are building too much pressure in the system. You will probably find leaks real fast with this method if present.
Try to use a nozzel with a rubber tip. this will provide a better seal with the port.......I think this will work?:eek: Don't regulate the pressure.......use max

03 D-max
03-31-2009, 09:47 PM
ok sounds good. i have a nice rubber tipped gun that should do the trick Thanks

02freighttrain
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Just thought of somthing...dammit..........You would need to seal the intake side of the turbo toooooooooo. Might be more effort than necessary, but it would work.

03 D-max
03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
ahh just a little more tape:D

TrentNell
03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
i have some pvc caps 2 1/2 " i got from the hardware store i put them in the intercooler tubes at the turbo outlet and the other at the y-bridge tapped the one at the y-bridge with a 1/4 thread and put a air fitting in it , i use them to check for leaks in the boost side of things works real well . btw i use a regulater and send 50 psi through it . it will test everthing but the turbo . never tried freighttrains method might work well for feed pipe leaks ect might try it one day .